Every business owner dreams of their website ranking number one on Google.
The reasons are obvious: summiting the mountain of Google’s search results page would mean more visibility, increased traffic to your website, and the potential for sales to catapult your business ahead of the competition.
Unfortunately, achieving a high ranking doesn’t just happen overnight. And this feat can be especially challenging for a small business owner that doesn’t have an unlimited marketing budget and an army of tech savvy millenials to do all the heavy lifting.
But that doesn’t mean a high ranking is out of reach! Here are six tips and effective strategies any business owner can use to increase their chances of claiming that #1 spot:
1. Create a content-rich, mobile responsive website.
Step one to rising in the rankings: Filling the pages of your website with tons of well-written, original, relevant content. The next step is to make sure your visitors (real people and Google’s bots) can easily read all that juicy content oozing from the pages of your website no matter what device they’re using. Mobile responsive design is a must. Not sure if your website mobile friendly? Take the Mobile Friendly Test.
2. Protect your website with an SSL Certificate.
SSL certificates guarantee a safe interaction between your customers and your business website by decreasing the risk of sensitive information (credit card numbers, passwords, emails, etc.) from being hacked. Because Google wants its users to have a safe experience, they now flag websites that aren’t protected by an SSL certificate. This means if your website doesn’t have an SSL certificate, you’re at risk of slipping in the rankings and losing out on customers.
3. Fill out your Google My Business page entirely.
Claiming your Google My Business page will increase your chances of showing up in higher in the search results. But it’s not enough to simply claim your Google My Business page. You also have to fill it out entirely. Yes, you want to show up when customers do a Google search, but you also want to show up accurately. Plus, this is a great optimization tool to build a stronger case for a high ranking by posting updates, responding to reviews to build loyalty, and by adding photos for some visual interest.
4. Submit your website address to business directories.
Google My Business isn’t the only business listing you should create for your company. Creating multiple accounts across other business directories such as Facebook, Yelp, Yellow Pages, and any industry relevant directories (both local and national) sends a signal letting the big G know that your business is credible and worthy and deserving of a shot at the big leagues.
5. Optimize meta titles and descriptions on your website.
Translation: Meta titles and descriptions are lines of code added to the backend of your website that speak the same language as Google’s bots and tell them what you’re all about. On the frontend, the meta title and description are what show up on Google’s results page (the blue link and the little description under it). These little snippets are important because they are a searcher’s first experience of your website and can determine if someone clicks on you.
6. Add your address to your website and Google Maps.
Another way to get Google to put you on the map is by, well, putting yourself on Google Maps. Adding both your website address and business address to Google Maps will help you inch your way closer to the top—especially in local search results. Also, make sure your physical address is not just listed on your website, but is clear and easy to find on your home page, about page, contact page, and in the footer. This isn’t the time to play hard to get!
At Net Designs, we are familiar with Google’s rulebook and understand the importance of a high search engine ranking. If you need help with implementing any one or all of these strategies to achieve a higher ranking, Net Designs will always rise to the occasion to help you rise in the rankings!
Contact Net Designs today and let’s start a conversation!
Author: Kendall Dick, Net Designs Blogger
- How to Create Content Google Will Love
- 6 Services You Didn’t Know Net Designs Offered
- 5 Tips for a Successful Ecommerce Website
- Are You Feeding Your Website?
- The Story Behind Net Designs
- The Power of Visual Content
- Website Content Checklist for Small Businesses
- 6 Tips to Keep Your Website Hot During Winter
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Professional to Write Your Blog
- 5 Steps to a Successful Website Launch
- 12 Questions to Ask Your Website Designer Before the Project Begins
- Why Your Website Needs an SSL Certificate
- It’s Time to Evaluate Your Website Content
- Regularly Scheduled Maintenance?
- Exclusive Behind the Scenes Look at Net Designs!
- 5 Biggest Mistakes of DIY Websites
- Why Your Business Website Needs a Blog
- 15 “Must-Haves” For Your Website
- Ugly Website? We Can Fix That!
- What’s the Big Deal About Mobile First?
- How to Attract More Visitors to Your Website
- 5 Signs Your Website Needs Work
- What Is Responsive Design and Why Does My Site Need It?
- Why Do I Need a Website Designer?
Net Designs, Wendy Bedell | (269) 428-5016 | email@example.com | Contact