The first question you should ask a website designer: Will I be the owner of my domain name?
Registering a domain name is the very first step to getting your website up and running. But this isn’t something you have to figure out on your own—your website designer can help! Domain name ownership requires a little bit of basic knowledge in order to keep everything running smoothly. Just like with owning a car, you need to know how to fill up the gas tank and when it’s time for an oil change so you don’t get caught in a jam.
Whether you’re a first-time domain name owner or own a handful of well-aged domains, these domain name ownership tips will make owning your domain as stress-free as possible:
Make sure the domain is registered in your name
You wouldn’t let someone else put their name on the title of your car or your house deed. The same logic applies to your domain name. Your website designer can help you find, set-up, and even register your domain name. Just make absolutely sure that the domain is registered using YOUR NAME and CONTACT INFORMATION as the OWNER. If your designer wants to own your domain, it should raise a red flag for a number of reasons. For example, if you ever want to switch designers, you will need to control and own your domain name. If your designer owns your domain, you certainly don’t want to have to buy your own domain name back from the website designer! Net Designs helps you avoid these headaches completely by making sure you are the owner of your domain.
Enable auto-renewal of your domain name
Once you’ve become the proud owner of a domain name, one of the most important things to do to ensure that your domain stays yours is to enable auto-renewal and keep your credit card information current. This relieves you from remembering when to renew so you can avoid the challenges of manual renewal or recovery of an expired domain, which can be expensive, complicated, and time-consuming. And while registrars notify domain owners of soon-to-expire domains, it’s always possible that email renewal notifications will land in your junk folder, will pass by unnoticed, or your contact information isn’t up to date.
Keep your domain contact information up to date
When you receive a little nudge from your domain name registrar to check and confirm that all of your contact information is up to date—do it! This is important for several reasons. Most importantly, keeping your domain contact information up to date ensures that you receive any important notifications from your registrar when changes are made to your domain name. These notifications are for your protection, so that you can verify and confirm the validity of the changes made or take appropriate measures in the case of any unauthorized changes.
Navigating the world of domain names can be a daunting task if you’re not up to speed on how to even get one in the first place. At Net Designs, we can help you register your domain name and yes, YOU will be the owner.
If you have any questions about registering a domain name or could use some pro tips for choosing the perfect domain name, contact Net Designs today! We know the ins and outs of finding and registering a domain name for your website that will help take your business to the next level.
Contact Net Designs today and let’s start a conversation!
Author: Kendall Dick, Net Designs Blogger
- Is Your Website Ready For 2019?
- Why Your Business Needs a Domain Name
- 7 Trust Signals Your Website Must Send
- 6 Tips for a Higher Google Ranking
- How to Create Content Google Will Love
- 6 Services You Didn’t Know Net Designs Offered
- 5 Tips for a Successful Ecommerce Website
- Are You Feeding Your Website?
- The Story Behind Net Designs
- The Power of Visual Content
- Website Content Checklist for Small Businesses
- 6 Tips to Keep Your Website Hot During Winter
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Professional to Write Your Blog
- 5 Steps to a Successful Website Launch
- 12 Questions to Ask Your Website Designer Before the Project Begins
- Why Your Website Needs an SSL Certificate
- It’s Time to Evaluate Your Website Content
- Regularly Scheduled Maintenance?
- Exclusive Behind the Scenes Look at Net Designs!
- 5 Biggest Mistakes of DIY Websites
- Why Your Business Website Needs a Blog
- 15 “Must-Haves” For Your Website
- Ugly Website? We Can Fix That!
- What’s the Big Deal About Mobile First?
- How to Attract More Visitors to Your Website
- 5 Signs Your Website Needs Work
- What Is Responsive Design and Why Does My Site Need It?
- Why Do I Need a Website Designer?
Net Designs, Wendy Bedell | (269) 428-5016 | firstname.lastname@example.org | Contact