Congratulations! Your shiny new website is complete!
Your online presence is up and running and you’re gearing up to field a ton of new leads, enjoy better and more efficient communications with customers, and reap all the other benefits of having a beautifully designed and highly functional website.
But even though your website is built, a website needs ongoing attention to keep it running smoothly.
So before you stride off into the sunset and bid your website designer adieu, here are five questions to be sure to ask your designer once your website is built:
1. Do you offer a maintenance plan to keep my website running on all cylinders?
One of the most critical components to any successful website strategy is regular maintenance. Net Designs offers maintenance plans that update WordPress, PHP, plugins, and site framework. We scan for malware, install SSL certificates if needed, and install newer functionality when warranted. We suggest that our clients have us perform maintenance on their website several times per year.
2. Do you provide all usernames and passwords to my accounts?
Our clients own their domain and hosting accounts and we provide usernames and passwords to our clients upon request. This is important because whoever has custody of these usernames and passwords is in control of the website. You should be free to change designers at any time, and having access to your account is the first step to this type of freedom.
3. Can I request edits in the future?
Yes! And it’s as easy as sending us an email or calling us directly. Net Designs supports the websites we build and offer editing and maintenance upon request. We train our clients to make simple edits if they choose. At the end of the day, this is your website, and because you have all the usernames and passwords, simple edits like text, images, and PDF file uploads are easy to do yourself.
4. Did you test all my forms and confirm they are sending and received?
Contact forms are notorious for failing over time. That’s why we are adamant about testing them multiple times during the initial build and then again when we perform maintenance to make sure your forms are in tip-top shape.
5. Did you set up any website analytics? If so, how do I view them?
As the gold standard for website traffic monitoring, Google Analytics collects valuable nuggets of information for you, like number of visitors, how long visitors are staying, how they are getting there, etc. Reviewing your website’s analytics on a regular basis can help measure your efforts by determining where your best referral traffic comes from. At Net Designs, we set up Google Analytics for any clients who’d like that information. We can also set up user permissions so you can view them with your Google account.
Your website is an ongoing asset to your business and that’s why hiring an efficient and proficient website designer is more than likely result in a long-term relationship. These five questions will get the ball rolling in keeping the lines of communication open so your website designer can support you in a deeper capacity.
Author: Kendall Dick, Net Designs Blogger
- Reminder: It’s Time to Update Your Website!
- What a Professional Email Can Do for Your Small Business
- Domain Name Ownership Tips
- Is Your Website Ready For 2019?
- Why Your Business Needs a Domain Name
- 7 Trust Signals Your Website Must Send
- 6 Tips for a Higher Google Ranking
- How to Create Content Google Will Love
- 6 Services You Didn’t Know Net Designs Offered
- 5 Tips for a Successful Ecommerce Website
- Are You Feeding Your Website?
- The Story Behind Net Designs
- The Power of Visual Content
- Website Content Checklist for Small Businesses
- 6 Tips to Keep Your Website Hot During Winter
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Professional to Write Your Blog
- 5 Steps to a Successful Website Launch
- 12 Questions to Ask Your Website Designer Before the Project Begins
- Why Your Website Needs an SSL Certificate
- It’s Time to Evaluate Your Website Content
- Regularly Scheduled Maintenance?
- Exclusive Behind the Scenes Look at Net Designs!
- 5 Biggest Mistakes of DIY Websites
- Why Your Business Website Needs a Blog
- 15 “Must-Haves” For Your Website
- Ugly Website? We Can Fix That!
- What’s the Big Deal About Mobile First?
- How to Attract More Visitors to Your Website
- 5 Signs Your Website Needs Work
- What Is Responsive Design and Why Does My Site Need It?
- Why Do I Need a Website Designer?