Nothing beats the thrill and excitement of starting your own business.
You get to be your own boss, have more freedom and flexibility, and you get to shape and flesh out your dreams on the daily. Then there’s the satisfaction of saying you’re a business owner. Being able step back and say, “this is my company,” while proudly holding your head up.
You get to call the shots. And there are a lot of shots to call out right out of the gate to ensure your business is built on a solid foundation. One of the very first things you need to do to shore up your foundation is to nail down a domain name for your business. Without one, it will be nearly impossible for your business to reach any level of success.
What is a domain name?
In short, a domain name is the address of a website. It’s like the title to the property your business will build its online presence upon.
A domain name is essential to any business’s online presence. And an online presence is essential to the success of any business. Most people search online for local products and services, so if you don’t have a domain name, people are searching for—and not finding—your business online.
The first step to building your online presence and setting your business up for success is to secure a domain name. Here’s why:
You Need a Website
Before you can build a website for your business, you need to register a domain name. In today’s day and age, a professionally designed business website is no longer optional. In fact, it’s vital to the success of your business.
You Need a Professional Email
When you register a domain name, you can create custom email addresses. For example, if your domain name is mybusiness.com, you can create professional email addresses like firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
You Need to Build Your Brand
Your company already has a brand—and it’s not your logo. It’s your image as a whole. A domain name is essential to improving your image and building your brand because it’s what is typed in, remembered, and the first phrase associated with your company.
Choosing a domain name is similar to choosing a company name. Your domain name is your identity on the web so you want to make sure you choose a domain name that not only fits your business, but also is easy to find and promote.
Here are a handful of tips for choosing the perfect domain name for your business:
- Keep it short and easy to type
- Avoid using common or generic terms—make it memorable!
- Don’t use numbers, hyphens, or slang
- Consider using keywords to improve your rank on search engines
- Target a local audience by including your city or state in your domain name
Years from now, you’ll remember the moment you decided to start your own business. Take a moment to savor it, but don’t forget registering a domain name should be at the top of your to-do list. Welcome to the 21st-century workforce!
Navigating the world of domain names can be a daunting task if you’re not up to speed on how to get one. With countless caveats and hosting companies out there, it’s easy to be overwhelmed or make a mistake that could reflect poorly on your business.
If you need help securing a domain name, contact Net Designs today! We know the ins and outs of finding and registering a domain name that will help take your business to a new level. And once you’ve obtained your shiny new domain name, Net Designs can build you a shiny new website to ensure you get the most out of your new business asset!
Author: Kendall Dick, Net Designs Blogger
- 7 Trust Signals Your Website Must Send
- 6 Tips for a Higher Google Ranking
- How to Create Content Google Will Love
- 6 Services You Didn’t Know Net Designs Offered
- 5 Tips for a Successful Ecommerce Website
- Are You Feeding Your Website?
- The Story Behind Net Designs
- The Power of Visual Content
- Website Content Checklist for Small Businesses
- 6 Tips to Keep Your Website Hot During Winter
- 5 Reasons to Hire a Professional to Write Your Blog
- 5 Steps to a Successful Website Launch
- 12 Questions to Ask Your Website Designer Before the Project Begins
- Why Your Website Needs an SSL Certificate
- It’s Time to Evaluate Your Website Content
- Regularly Scheduled Maintenance?
- Exclusive Behind the Scenes Look at Net Designs!
- 5 Biggest Mistakes of DIY Websites
- Why Your Business Website Needs a Blog
- 15 “Must-Haves” For Your Website
- Ugly Website? We Can Fix That!
- What’s the Big Deal About Mobile First?
- How to Attract More Visitors to Your Website
- 5 Signs Your Website Needs Work
- What Is Responsive Design and Why Does My Site Need It?
- Why Do I Need a Website Designer?